Disposing of your waste properly

We’ve had a few nice days, trees are pollinating and thoughts are turning to spring. Have you started your Spring Cleaning? Have you found some items that make you wonder how to dispose of  that waste? It’s kind of surprising to go to people’s homes and see them frying up stuff in a pan then take the grease and put it down the sink. You know, not only is it bad for your pipes, but it’s so bad for the environment.

So What To Do With Your Waste?

In the news, we frequently hear stories about water and air that are contaminated by something. Maybe you’re one of those people who want to help the environment, but you don’t know what you can do. What do you do when you dispose of your cleansers that you no longer need? Polishes that you no longer need? Just chemicals in general? Do you just throw them in the garbage? That’s not a great thing for the environment, especially when we have such an easy, great alternative in the area.


We have a great gift here in town. Have you ever heard of the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility? This is a fantastic place that will help you dispose of many items. It is a free service. And it is a gift.


Today, Deborah Elliott-Shultz welcomes Kathy Andrews, the Division Manager for the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. She’s been on the show before and we are so pleased to have her join us again, today.


The mission of the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is to ensure that the residents of El Paso and Teller counties have a safe, proper way to dispose of their household hazardous waste.


Why do we have the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility?


If you think about chemicals, paints, lawn and garden things, all kinds of things, you don’t want them in the landfill, because eventually they will seep down into the water table. We’ve all heard the stories about undrinkable water, about the chemicals being put on the ground and then eventually seeping down to the water table. And we want to ensure that, we as residents and citizens of El Paso and Teller Counties are not contributing to that by disposing of chemicals properly.


Because it is not environmentally friendly to put anything down the drain that you can’t put in your body.


What about grease, such as vegetable oil and bacon grease, what is the best way to dispose of that?


A lot of people will try to dump their cooking oil and greases down the drain. The problem with this is that 1) it will clog your pipes, and 2) it’s not good for the environment. It’s not something that the Utilities Department can easily separate or remove from the water. So what can you do about it? Take it to the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Use the same container it came in, or one that is structurally sound, such as a glass jar or mayonnaise jar, so that it doesn’t leak all over you car when you taking it the Facility.


And please don’t leave flammable liquids in a hot car all day before bringing them to the Facility. These items can change chemical properties and become hazardous.


Another item people aren’t always aware needs special consideration for disposal are medications. If you put those down the drain, eventually they could come back into the water table and you don’t want that to happen. Medications are difficult things.


State law changed in Colorado in 2016. You have to be a law enforcement agency or a pharmacy to take medications. There are a couple of places in town that do it and additionally the DEA has a drug take back day, every spring and every fall. While the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is not equipped to take medications year round, on Saturday, April 27, the DEA take back day for medication (in pill form and liquid form) will be held at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 3255 Akers Drive, Colorado Springs, CO.


It will be staffed by the Drug Enforcement Agency from 10am to 2pm. If you would like more information, you can always call (719) 520-7878. The one thing that they will not take that day are sharps. However, El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility does accept sharps containers at the facility on a regular basis as long as they’re from a household.


If you’re not able to make it out to the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility for the DEA Take Back Day, you can do a computer search to find other places in the area that you can take at a time more convenient to your schedule.


From paint to garden chemicals, from grease to motor oil, there are a lot of things El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility can take to help keep our water clean and free of poisons. Come listen as Deborah and Kathy discuss the many ways you can use this amazing community gift along with items you may not have thought about. You’ll also get to hear a story about something one family found in the backyard of a house they bought and about Blue Star (719-597-6119) where you can recycle the heavy metals found in electronics.


To find out more information about the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility, log onto their website here, or call (719) 520-7878.


If you have any questions or would like to discuss something you have heard on the show, call Deborah Elliott-Shultz at (719) 641-1357. She enjoys having conversations with listeners of the City of CS Real Estate and Lifestyle show.


Are you interested in finding out about Deborah Elliott-Shultz and City of CS Real Estate and Lifestyle’s flat listing fee of $3500*? Visit cityofcs.com or call (719) 641-1357 to speak with Deborah. And, have you heard about our buyer’s rebate? That’s right! We give back 30% of our commission to help you with your closing costs or to buy new appliances which will be reflected on the settlement statement, and you’ll get it at closing along with a W-9. Give Deborah to speak with her about buying or selling a home with City of CS Real Estate and Lifestyle.


If you have any real estate questions, or to find out how City of CS Real Estate and Lifestyle can help make your real estate experience more affordable, call Deborah Elliott-Shultz at (719) 641-1357.


And check out cityofcs.com if you’re interested in Deborah’s preferred provider list, the people whom she has vetted and works with in her business. Among them, sponsor Ryan Herbig of American Liberty Mortgage. If you’re looking to buy a house and need a mortgage lender, give him a call at (719) 659-0043. Does your roof need some attention? Want to know how your roof faired through our crazy hail storms and the “bomb cyclone” of a blizzard, call our other sponsor Drury Brothers Roofing at (719) 591-4994. If you would like to ask about becoming a sponsor or added to  the preferred provider list, call Deborah at (719) 641-1357 to find out how.


*If listed for under $600,000 and does not include the buyer’s agent fee.

Our Preferred Providers