Dealing with noxious weeds

Last week, Deborah Elliot-Shultz of the City of CS Real Estate and Lifestyle discussed with Kathy Andrews of El Paso County Hazardous waste about items that you should never toss in the garbage or put down the sink. There’s a lot of stuff, like cleaning chemicals and batters, so Kathy gave us some tips on how to take these sort of items to the facility so they can dispose of it correctly.


And it will not involve anything to do with water. Which is a good thing, not only for the environment but for you, too! Contaminated water in some parts of El Paso County has been in the news lately. And you can’t get away from hearing about polluted air, either. Take advantage of the El Paso County Hazardous Waste Facility and help take care of yourself and your neighbors.


El Paso County Hazardous Waste Facility also tracks noxious weeds in the city and educates people about noxious weeds. So what are noxious weeds? Have even heard that term?


Today, Deborah Elliott-Shultz speaks with Tina Travis and Kathy Andrews of El Paso County Hazardous Waste Facility, once again.


Think about the wild boars in Texas. People can relate to animals that are alien species, however, they have a hard time relating to plants. Noxious weeds are plants that are introduced to an area without any kind of biological controls. Which means they become super predators and eliminate our native landscaping or native wildlife vegetation.


When that happens, native animal populations are affected because their food source decreases.


How do noxious weeds affect wildlife and other plants?

They can be quite poisonous, toxic, or just not edible. If a plant is not edible, animals won’t eat them and they outcompete the other plant species and grow into a monopoly, spreading quickly through pastures and ranges.


How many noxious different species that we have? We probably have about 30 species of noxious weeds here, give or take a few. There are about five to eight that are closely monitored. A while back, many were introduced as ornamental plants. When people think of noxious weeds, they think of an ugly plant that they don’t want growing, such as dandelions. However, a lot of noxious weeds, such as Myrtle spurge, were sold in garden centers and we didn’t know that they would have the effects that they do.


Why does the El Paso County Hazardous Waste Facility keep track of noxious weeds? Is it just because they’re spreading so much or because the vast majority of them are poisonous, or both?


Both. They certainly do not have to be poisonous to be on the noxious weed list, we have more native Colorado species that are very poisonous than necessarily what’s on the noxious weed list. The difference is is those native species you’re going to find a plant or two in a pasture or range land or national forest spread apart by several feet to begin. With nothing eating them, they will takeover, they will not allow anything else to grow.


How do you go about trying to control this? What area do you keep a watch on?


El Paso County Environmental Division helps the public as much as they can. However, for the most part they are only able to look for noxious weeds in unincorporated El Paso County. They can help educate, but they have no jurisdiction in the city.


On the El Paso County website, type noxious weeds into the search engine and it will bring up pictures and more information about noxious weeds. They are El Paso County’s environmental division, and that covers a lot of things, certainly noxious weeds, natural resources, environmental compliance, conservation, easements, wetlands, all those kind of things.


If you have an environmental question, you can call (719) 520-7878 to ask your questions. One of the things that El Paso County sponsors is called the Black Forest Slash Mulch Program. This is where people can bring their slash, which means tree debris, and get it mulched. The facility will be opening on May 4 to take people’s slash. They actually mulch it there so people can go and pick up mulch. The County has run this program for 25 years, now.


Another thing Environmental Department has coming up will take place on April 27. The Great American Clean-Up. This is where we clean up El Paso County and the city of Colorado Springs. We have over 20 sites within El Paso County. We encourage people to sign up and come help us clean up.


To sign up and join the Great American Clean-Up event, go to or you can always call (719) 520-7878 and they’ll be happy to guide them.


On April 27, we also have the Letter Rip Event. This is an annual event in partnership with the Better Business Bureau, El Paso County Sheriff’s Office ,and County District Attorney to encourage people to shred their paper. Don’t just put them in the trash. Identity theft is a big thing. The first three boxes you bring in that are letter size size boxes (like copy paper boxes) are free. The second three boxes are $5 each. You can bring a total of six boxes. But, again, you need to register at or give us a call (719) 520-7878.


The final event happening on April 27 is the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) Take Back Day. It will be at several places around Colorado Springs. That’s where you can take your medications, both your pills and your liquids, for proper disposal at several places around up El Paso County and that you can see at and just search “take back day.”


We only take tires at our Clean Sweep Events, which we host four of them throughout the year. The  April and June events are actually sold out for the year. So, you can register for the August event, just give us a call (719) 520-7878 and we will be happy to set you up for that you can bring up to nine tires. In the state of Colorado, if you carry around more than nine tires in your car, the law says you’re a tire dealer. So make sure you don’t have more than nine tires.


The El Paso County Hazardous Waste Facility is located at 3255 Akres Dr. 80922. They are only open the second Saturday of each month from 8am to 1pm. And open during the week Monday-Friday 8am-4:45pm. If you have any questions about hazardous household waste or noxious weeds, give them a call at (719) 520-7878.


If you have any questions or would like to discuss something you have heard on the show, call Deborah Elliott-Shultz at (719) 641-1357. She enjoys having conversations with listeners of the City of CS Real Estate and Lifestyle show.


Are you interested in finding out about Deborah Elliott-Shultz and City of CS Real Estate and Lifestyle’s flat listing fee of $3500*? Visit or call (719) 641-1357 to speak with Deborah. And, have you heard about our buyer’s rebate? That’s right! We give back 30% of our commission to help you with your closing costs or to buy new appliances which will be reflected on the settlement statement, and you’ll get it at closing along with a W-9. Give Deborah to speak with her about buying or selling a home with City of CS Real Estate and Lifestyle.


If you have any real estate questions, or to find out how City of CS Real Estate and Lifestyle can help make your real estate experience more affordable, call Deborah Elliott-Shultz at (719) 641-1357.


And check out if you’re interested in Deborah’s preferred provider list, the people whom she has vetted and works with in her business. Among them, sponsor Ryan Herbig of American Liberty Mortgage. If you’re looking to buy a house and need a mortgage lender, give him a call at (719) 659-0043. Does your roof need some attention? Want to know how your roof faired through our crazy hail storms and the “bomb cyclone” of a blizzard, call our other sponsor Drury Brothers Roofing at (719) 591-4994. If you would like to ask about becoming a sponsor or added to  the preferred provider list, call Deborah at (719) 641-1357 to find out how.


*If listed for under $600,000 and does not include the buyer’s agent fee.

Our Preferred Providers